We used to spend our summer holidays in and around Bright (situated in Victoria’s Alpine region) and this savoury french toast was one of our favourite things to cook up on the barbie – particularly at breakfast!
French toast has always been a favourite of mine, such a versatile base from which you can add a myriad of different things – layer it with ice cream and maple syrup (satisfying those with a sweet tooth) or in this case, create an easy savoury treat for those laid back Sunday mornings.
My savoury French toast is camp friendly, makes use of only a few basic ingredients (which are easy to travel with) and takes less than 15 minutes to prepare – perfect for those Aussie breaks.
- ⅓ cup low fat milk
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 4 eggs
- 4-8 slices of bread (depending on size)
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
- Olive oil
- Fresh shaved parmesan
- Preheat barbecue
- Whisk milk and eggs in a bowl.
- Evenly spread Parmesan across a flat plate
- Drench bread in egg mixture before transferring to plate and covering each side in Parmesan
- Oil hot plate
- Cook each side for 2-3 minutes (or until golden) flip only once! You’re looking for a crispy golden brown exterior.
- Layer French toast; add a knob of butter, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with parsley! Finish off with some fresh shaved Parmesan…
LEAVE A REPLY