In the lead up to summer we are celebrating the great Aussie barbecue. Let’s be honest; where would we be without it? One word. Lost.
Now come on, we’re all partial to a sausage in bread! Along with a couple of cold frothies, a few tunes on the outdoor jukebox (radio) and a group of great friends…
But it’s not just about that mouth-watering meat… Every great barbie requires a solid line up of sides, right?! Yep, I’m talkin’ about potato salad, coleslaw, garden salad, fresh bread, and condiments…
Oh, and the Pavlova that follows for dessert…
HOLD UP! Did you just say the “P” word?! Absolutely I did BUT that’s NOT why we are here today (although we might come back to this family favourite at a later date).
Salads are a huge part of the Aussie BBQ – and what’s not to love about them? They’re easy, relatively cheap to throw together and filled with plenty of good stuff (such as vegies, fruit and nuts).
So with summer on our doorstep, where better to start…
- 1 bunch of fresh rocket
- 2 mandarins, peeled and segmented
- ½ cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- ½ cup freshly shaved parmesan
- 1 tbsp maple syrup (or can use honey or rice malt syrup)
- 1 tbsp horseradish
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 ½ tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- If you’re away camping, place all ingredients in a tightly sealed jar and shake, shake, #ShakeItOff
- If you're at home – throw all ingredients into a kitchen whizz, blend sufficiently
- Place rocket in a large salad bowl; scatter with walnuts, mandarin segments and parmesan